Fly directly to Kefalonia
Several airlines fly directly to Kefalonia from May to October. To find the lowest cost for the dates you are interested, we recommend making use of momondo.com or try each airline's website. If you cannot find flights on the exact day but a few days before your start date or after your ending date, there are plenty of hotels and rented rooms near the airport at reasonable prices where you can stay for the extra days.
Here is a list of airlines that fly to Kefalonia:
- EasyJet flies to Kefalonia from Manchester, London Gatwick, and Milan Malpensa
- Ryanair flies to Kefalonia from London Stansted, Milan Bergamo, and Pisa
- Thomas Cook flies to Kefalonia from Birmingham, Bristol, London Gatwick, London Stansted, Manchester, and Newcastle
- Thomson flies to Kefalonia from London Gatwick, London Luton, London Stansted, Birmingham, East Midlands, Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, and Cardiff
- Loloflights flies from Manchester to Kefalonia
- Blu-Express flies from Roma Fumicino to Kefalonia
- Norwegian flies form London Gatwick to Kefalonia
- Air Berlin flies to Kefalonia from Vienna
- SAS flies to Kefalonia from Stockholm Arlanda
- Transavia flies to Kefalonia from Amsterdam Schiphol
- Yamal flies to Kefalonia from Moscow
- Aegean flies to Kefalonia from Athens,
- Sky Express flies to Kefalonia from Zakynthos, Kithyra, Preveza, and Corfu
Fly to Athens and take a bus to Kefalonia
Flights to Athens are often cheaper than flights to Kefalonia. You can fly to Athens International Airport (ATH) and then take a bus directly to Argostoli, the capital of Kefalonia, or sometimes straight to Lixouri. There are many flights you can take to Athens. Use Momondo, Expedia, SkyScanner, or any other flight-finding and booking service for flights to Athens.
Once you arrive, you will have to make your way from the airport to the Kifisou KTEL bus station. You can take the X93 shuttle bus (€5, 40-60 minutes) or a taxi (€30 to €50).
The KTEL bus schedules from Kifisou station to Kefalonia are announced once a month and may change. However there are typically two buses every day; one around 7am and another between 3pm and 5pm. The bus takes approximately seven hours to reach Argostoli and costs around €35 to €40. While you cannot make an online reservation, it is best to call a few days before you travel and reserve a seat in the bus (+30 2105150785).
It is best to fly to Athens the day before your starting date and take the early bus to Kefalonia. Similarly, schedule your return flight the day after your last day at the project. This will give you enough time to take the bus to and from Kefalonia without missing training sessions, and will give you the opportunity for some quick sightseeing in Athens. Various hostels are available in Athens to spend the night in shared rooms.
During the trip from Athens to Kefalonia, the bus will board a ferry to the island. Your fare includes the ferry ticket and you will not need to worry about the arrangements. The bus will arrive at the port, you will be asked to get off the bus and onto the ferry, and once in Kefalonia you will get off the boat and onto the same bus. Make sure you get off the ferry as soon as it arrives in Kefalonia so you don't miss the bus. The bus will then continue to Argostoli and/or Lixouri. If you are travelling to Skala, you can get off the bus at Poros, the port, and take a 10-minute taxi ride to Skala. If you are travelling to Lixouri, ask if the bus continues to Lixouri. If not, we will pick you up from the bus station in Argostoli and drive you to the ferry to Lixouri.